Teach courses in social work. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Social Work Program Coordinator
- Social Work Professor
- Social Work Lecturer
- Social Work Instructor
- Social Work Faculty Member
- Master of Social Work Program Coordinator (MSW Program Coordinator)
- Health Social Work Professor
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department head.
- Supervise students' laboratory and field work.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Select and obtain materials and supplies, such as textbooks or laboratory equipment.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $63,730 with most people making between $34,090 and $103,800
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 660 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 740 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 8 openings due to growth and about 12 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- School Psychologists
- Clinical Psychologists
- Business Teachers, Postsecondary
- Geography Teachers, Postsecondary
- Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary
- English Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
- Foreign Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
- History Teachers, Postsecondary
- Philosophy and Religion Teachers, Postsecondary
- Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary