Teach courses in library science. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- School of Library and Information Services Adjunct Professor
- School Library Media Program Director
- Reference Librarian
- Medical Records Library Professor
- Medical Record Librarians Teacher
- Library Technology Instructor
- Library Services Dean
- Library Science Professor
- Library Science Instructor
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department head.
- Edit manuscripts for professional journals.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Select and obtain materials and supplies, such as textbooks.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $72,480 with most people making between $42,580 and $103,670
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 360 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 380 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 8 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Environmental Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Anthropology and Archeology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Area, Ethnic, and Cultural Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
- Geography Teachers, Postsecondary
- Psychology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Sociology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary
- Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Teachers, Postsecondary
- History Teachers, Postsecondary
- Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary