Teach courses in health specialties, in fields such as dentistry, laboratory technology, medicine, pharmacy, public health, therapy, and veterinary medicine.
- Virology Teacher
- Veterinary Technician Program Coordinator
- Veterinary Science Teacher
- Veterinary Medicine Teacher
- Urology Teacher
- Toxicology Teacher
- Therapy Teacher
- Surgical Aides Teacher
- Surgery Teacher
- Sports Medicine Trainer
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department head.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Advise students on academic and vocational curricula and on career issues.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $89,140 with most people making between $39,140 and $159,950
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 7,210 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 8,480 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 127 openings due to growth and about 133 replacement openings for approximately 260 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Chemistry Teachers, Postsecondary
- Environmental Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Anthropology and Archeology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Psychology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Library Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Teachers, Postsecondary
- Social Work Teachers, Postsecondary
- History Teachers, Postsecondary
- Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary