Teach courses in sociology. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Sociology Professor
- Sociology Instructor
- Sociology Faculty Member
- Social Sciences Lecturer
- Social Sciences Department Chair
- Social Science Professor
- Social Science Instructor
- Social Organization Professor
- Social and Political Studies Professor
- Race Relations Professor
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department head.
- Supervise students' laboratory and field work.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SAE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Recognition in their jobs.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $77,490 with most people making between $38,120 and $122,650
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,640 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,840 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 20 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Computer Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Geography Teachers, Postsecondary
- Political Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Library Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Law Teachers, Postsecondary
- Communications Teachers, Postsecondary
- English Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
- History Teachers, Postsecondary
- Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary