Teach courses in psychology, such as child, clinical, and developmental psychology, and psychological counseling. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Social Studies Department Chair
- Social Sciences Professor
- Social Sciences Department Chair
- Social Science Instructor
- School Psychology Professor
- Psychology Teacher
- Psychology Professor
- Psychology Lecturer
- Psychology Instructor
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Review books and journal articles for potential publication.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Supervise the clinical work of practicum students.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department head.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Provide clinical services to clients, such as assessing psychological problems and conducting psychotherapy.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SAE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $73,770 with most people making between $35,000 and $118,330
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,480 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,800 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 32 openings due to growth and about 48 replacement openings for approximately 80 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Computer Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Anthropology and Archeology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Geography Teachers, Postsecondary
- Library Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Teachers, Postsecondary
- Law Teachers, Postsecondary
- Foreign Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
- History Teachers, Postsecondary
- Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary
- Genetic Counselors