Teach courses in geography. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Social Science Professor
- Professor of Geography
- Petroleum Geology Faculty Member
- Human Geography Instructor
- Human Geography Faculty Member
- History Professor
- Global Studies and Cultural Geography Faculty Member
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Perform spatial analysis and modeling using geographic information system techniques.
- Maintain geographic information systems laboratories, performing duties such as updating software.
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department head.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Select and obtain materials and supplies, such as textbooks.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $90,850 with most people making between $42,300 and $134,990
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 360 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 380 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 8 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Computer Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Agricultural Sciences Teachers, Postsecondary
- Area, Ethnic, and Cultural Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
- Economics Teachers, Postsecondary
- Psychology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Sociology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Library Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Teachers, Postsecondary
- History Teachers, Postsecondary
- Philosophy and Religion Teachers, Postsecondary