Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Professor of Practice
- Professor of Architecture
- Landscape Architecture Teacher
- Landscape Architecture Professor
- Interior Design Professor
- Interior Design Professional
- Interior Design Instructor
- Interior Design Faculty Member
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department head.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Select and obtain materials and supplies, such as textbooks and laboratory equipment.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
- Advise students on academic and vocational curricula and on career issues.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was n/a
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 520 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 560 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 4 openings due to growth and about 6 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Computer Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Chemistry Teachers, Postsecondary
- Sociology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Art, Drama, and Music Teachers, Postsecondary
- Communications Teachers, Postsecondary
- English Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
- Philosophy and Religion Teachers, Postsecondary
- Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary
- Recreation and Fitness Studies Teachers, Postsecondary