Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Trigonometry Teacher
- Topology Teacher
- Topology Professor
- Statistics Teacher
- Statistics Professor
- Statistical Methods Teacher
- Statistical Methods Professor
- Science Instructor
- Sampling Theory Teacher
- Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department head.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Select and obtain materials and supplies, such as textbooks.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SIA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Recognition in their jobs.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $83,100 with most people making between $37,200 and $133,360
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,010 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 3,370 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 36 openings due to growth and about 54 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.
- Business Teachers, Postsecondary
- Atmospheric, Earth, Marine, and Space Sciences Teachers, Postsecondary
- Area, Ethnic, and Cultural Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
- Geography Teachers, Postsecondary
- Psychology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Sociology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Library Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Teachers, Postsecondary
- History Teachers, Postsecondary
- Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary