Teach courses in business administration and management, such as accounting, finance, human resources, labor and industrial relations, marketing, and operations research. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Typing Teacher
- Real Estate Professor
- Professor of Economics
- Professor of Business Administration
- Office Communication Professor
- Marketing Teacher
- Marketing Professor
- Marketing Instructor
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Perform administrative duties, such as serving as department head.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Develop and maintain course Web sites.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SEI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Recognition in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $84,380 with most people making between $32,360 and $152,780
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 4,260 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 4,550 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 29 openings due to growth and about 71 replacement openings for approximately 100 total annual openings.
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Arbitrators, Mediators, and Conciliators
- Architecture Teachers, Postsecondary
- Sociology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Law Teachers, Postsecondary
- Social Work Teachers, Postsecondary
- Philosophy and Religion Teachers, Postsecondary
- Recreation and Fitness Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
- Instructional Coordinators