Use verbatim methods and equipment to capture, store, retrieve, and transcribe pretrial and trial proceedings or other information. Includes stenocaptioners who operate computerized stenographic captioning equipment to provide captions of live or prerecorded broadcasts for hearing-impaired viewers.
- Verify accuracy of transcripts by checking copies against original records of proceedings and accuracy of rulings by checking with judges.
- Respond to requests during court sessions to read portions of the proceedings already recorded.
- Record depositions and other proceedings for attorneys.
- File and store shorthand notes of court session.
- Ask speakers to clarify inaudible statements.
- File a legible transcript of records of a court case with the court clerk's office.
- Transcribe recorded proceedings in accordance with established formats.
- Provide transcripts of proceedings upon request of judges, lawyers, or the public.
- Record symbols on computer storage media and use computer aided transcription to translate and display them as text.
- Take notes in shorthand or use a stenotype or shorthand machine that prints letters on a paper tape.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Support in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $47,240 with most people making between $25,580 and $73,290
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 980 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 960 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 20 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Insurance Adjusters, Examiners, and Investigators
- Tax Preparers
- Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
- Bill and Account Collectors
- Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks
- Procurement Clerks
- Medical Secretaries
- Secretaries and Administrative Assistants, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
- Insurance Claims Clerks
- Insurance Policy Processing Clerks