Assist lawyers by investigating facts, preparing legal documents, or researching legal precedent. Conduct research to support a legal proceeding, to formulate a defense, or to initiate legal action.
- Arbitrate disputes between parties and assist in the real estate closing process, such as by reviewing title searches.
- Appraise and inventory real and personal property for estate planning.
- Keep and monitor legal volumes to ensure that law library is up-to-date.
- Direct and coordinate law office activity, including delivery of subpoenas.
- Investigate facts and law of cases and search pertinent sources, such as public records, to determine causes of action and to prepare cases.
- Call upon witnesses to testify at hearing.
- Gather and analyze research data, such as statutes, decisions, and legal articles, codes, and documents.
- File pleadings with court clerk.
- Meet with clients and other professionals to discuss details of case.
- Prepare legal documents, including briefs, pleadings, appeals, wills, contracts, and real estate closing statements.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Working Conditions and Support in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $53,380 with most people making between $31,170 and $79,420
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 9,880 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 10,770 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 89 openings due to growth and about 221 replacement openings for approximately 310 total annual openings.
- Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Regulatory Affairs Specialists
- Human Resources Specialists
- Management Analysts
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Budget Analysts
- Insurance Underwriters
- Loan Interviewers and Clerks
- Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll and Timekeeping