Assist in providing client services in a wide variety of fields, such as psychology, rehabilitation, or social work, including support for families. May assist clients in identifying and obtaining available benefits and social and community services. May assist social workers with developing, organizing, and conducting programs to prevent and resolve problems relevant to substance abuse, human relationships, rehabilitation, or dependent care.
- Inform tenants of facilities, such as laundries or playgrounds.
- Observe clients' food selections and recommend alternate economical and nutritional food choices.
- Assist in planning food budgets, using charts or sample budgets.
- Meet with youth groups to acquaint them with consequences of delinquent acts.
- Observe and discuss meal preparation and suggest alternate methods of food preparation.
- Assist clients with preparation of forms, such as tax or rent forms.
- Explain rules established by owner or management, such as sanitation or maintenance requirements or parking regulations.
- Demonstrate use and care of equipment for tenant use.
- Transport and accompany clients to shopping areas or to appointments, using automobile.
- Assist in locating housing for displaced individuals.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CSE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Social and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $32,630 with most people making between $21,820 and $46,050
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 23,790 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 27,030 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 324 openings due to growth and about 466 replacement openings for approximately 790 total annual openings.
- Licensing Examiners and Inspectors
- Occupational Health and Safety Technicians
- Psychiatric Aides
- Medical Assistants
- First-Line Supervisors of Personal Service Workers
- Morticians, Undertakers, and Funeral Directors
- Patient Representatives
- Eligibility Interviewers, Government Programs
- Police, Fire, and Ambulance Dispatchers