Apply remote sensing technologies to assist scientists in areas such as natural resources, urban planning, or homeland security. May prepare flight plans or sensor configurations for flight trips.
- Senior Stereo Compiler Team Lead
- Senior Science Consultant
- Senior Research Analyst
- Research Associate
- Remote Sensing Technologist
- Remote Sensing Technician
- Project/Production Manager Imaging
- Project Manager-Process Development
- Project Manager
- Production Manager
- Provide remote sensing data for use in addressing environmental issues, such as surface water modeling or dust cloud detection.
- Collect remote sensing data for forest or carbon tracking activities involved in assessing the impact of environmental change.
- Collaborate with agricultural workers to apply remote sensing information to efforts to reduce negative environmental impacts of farming practices.
- Develop specialized computer software routines to customize and integrate image analysis.
- Document methods used and write technical reports containing information collected.
- Collect verification data on the ground, using equipment such as global positioning receivers, digital cameras, or notebook computers.
- Evaluate remote sensing project requirements to determine the types of equipment or computer software necessary to meet project requirements, such as specific image types or output resolutions.
- Operate airborne remote sensing equipment, such as survey cameras, sensors, or scanners.
- Maintain records of survey data.
- Monitor raw data quality during collection and make equipment corrections as necessary.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $46,490 with most people making between $27,650 and $71,300
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,110 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,250 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 14 openings due to growth and about 86 replacement openings for approximately 100 total annual openings.