Develop comprehensive plans and programs for use of land and physical facilities of jurisdictions, such as towns, cities, counties, and metropolitan areas.
- Investigate property availability for purposes of development.
- Develop plans for public or alternative transportation systems for urban or regional locations to reduce carbon output associated with transportation.
- Review and evaluate environmental impact reports pertaining to private or public planning projects or programs.
- Coordinate work with economic consultants or architects during the formulation of plans or the design of large pieces of infrastructure.
- Evaluate proposals for infrastructure projects or other development for environmental impact or sustainability.
- Create, prepare, or requisition graphic or narrative reports on land use data, including land area maps overlaid with geographic variables such as population density.
- Identify opportunities or develop plans for sustainability projects or programs to improve energy efficiency, minimize pollution or waste, or restore natural systems.
- Supervise or coordinate the work of urban planning technicians or technologists.
- Assess the feasibility of land use proposals and identify necessary changes.
- Keep informed about economic or legal issues involved in zoning codes, building codes, or environmental regulations.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ACS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Systems Analysis - Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $63,500 with most people making between $33,830 and $95,750
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,700 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,730 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 3 openings due to growth and about 27 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.