Research and analyze policy developments related to climate change. Make climate-related recommendations for actions such as legislation, awareness campaigns, or fundraising approaches.
- Staff Climate Scientist
- Senior Policy Associate
- Senior Policy Analyst
- Senior Climate Advisor
- Senior Associate, Climate and Energy Program
- Senior Advocate
- Senior Advisor
- Risk Assessor
- Research Associate, Policy
- Present and defend proposals for climate change research projects.
- Develop, or contribute to the development of, educational or outreach programs on the environment or climate change.
- Propose new or modified policies involving use of traditional and alternative fuels, transportation of goods, and other factors relating to climate and climate change.
- Prepare grant applications to obtain funding for programs related to climate change, environmental management, or sustainability.
- Gather and review climate-related studies from government agencies, research laboratories, and other organizations.
- Present climate-related information at public interest, governmental, or other meetings.
- Write reports or academic papers to communicate findings of climate-related studies.
- Review existing policies or legislation to identify environmental impacts.
- Research policies, practices, or procedures for climate or environmental management.
- Promote initiatives to mitigate climate change with government or environmental groups.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Recognition in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $72,160 with most people making between $40,730 and $116,180
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,040 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 3,340 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 30 openings due to growth and about 90 replacement openings for approximately 120 total annual openings.