Implement production processes for nanoscale designs to produce or modify materials, devices, or systems of unique molecular or macromolecular composition. Operate advanced microscopy equipment to manipulate nanoscale objects. Work under the supervision of nanoengineering staff.
- Technical Research Scientist
- Staff Scientist
- Scientific Research Associate
- Research Staff Member
- Research Specialist
- Research Scientist
- Research Associate
- Capture nanoparticle contaminants, using techniques such as electrical fields or electrospinning.
- Install nanotechnology production equipment at customer or manufacturing sites.
- Analyze the life cycle of nanomaterials or nano-enabled products to determine environmental impact.
- Prepare capability data, training materials, or other documentation for transfer of processes to production.
- Implement new or enhanced methods or processes for the processing, testing, or manufacture of nanotechnology materials or products.
- Prepare detailed verbal or written presentations for scientists, engineers, project managers, or upper management.
- Process nanoparticles or nanostructures, using technologies such as ultraviolet radiation, microwave energy, or catalysis.
- Develop or modify wet chemical or industrial laboratory experimental techniques for nanoscale use.
- Compare the performance or environmental impact of nanomaterials by nanoparticle size, shape, or organization.
- Mix raw materials or catalysts to manufacture nanoparticles according to specifications, ensuring proper particle size, shape, or organization.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $56,950 with most people making between $31,640 and $91,170
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,970 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,990 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 48 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.