Assist mechanical engineers in such activities as generation, transmission, or use of mechanical or fluid energy. Prepare layouts of machinery or equipment or plan the flow of work. May conduct statistical studies or analyze production costs.
- Tooling Engineering Tech
- Tool Analyst
- Technical Staff Engineer
- Senior Process Analyst
- Senior Designer
- Senior Advisory
- Mechanical Technologist
- Mechanical Maintenance
- Mechanical Engineering Technologist
- Mechanical Designer/Wind-Chill Administrator
- Conduct statistical studies to analyze or compare production costs for sustainable and nonsustainable designs.
- Assist engineers to design or develop electrochemical devices, such as solid oxide membranes or other products for sustainable applications.
- Analyze energy requirements and distribution systems to maximize the use of intermittent or inflexible renewable energy sources, such as wind or nuclear.
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment, such as leak detectors, glove boxes, or mechanical pumps.
- Apply testing or monitoring apparatus to operating equipment.
- Oversee, monitor, or inspect mechanical installations or construction projects.
- Assist mechanical engineers in product testing through activities such as setting up instrumentation for automobile crash tests.
- Prepare equipment inspection schedules, reliability schedules, work plans, or other records.
- Analyze or estimate production costs, such as labor, equipment, or plant space.
- Prepare layouts of machinery, tools, plants, or equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Independence in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $56,950 with most people making between $31,640 and $91,170
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,970 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,990 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 48 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.