Assist industrial engineers in such activities as quality control, inventory control, or material flow methods. May conduct statistical studies or analyze production costs.
- Traffic Rate Analyst
- Time Study Analyst
- Time Motion Analyst
- Senior Quality Methods Specialist
- Senior Quality Engineer
- Senior Product Integrity Engineer
- Senior Engineering Specialist
- Reliability Engineer
- Real Time Analyst
- Quality Tech
- Integrate high-speed loops and advanced control algorithms with graphical system designs to improve the efficiency of production operations.
- Develop computerized diagnostic tools to integrate measurements in real time and reduce production downtime.
- Conduct statistical studies to analyze or compare production costs for sustainable and nonsustainable designs.
- Analyze material flows or supply chains to identify opportunities to improve efficiency and conserve energy.
- Create computer applications for manufacturing processes or operations, using computer-aided design (CAD) or computer-assisted manufacturing (CAM) tools.
- Design plant or production facility layouts.
- Request equipment upgrades or purchases.
- Supervise production workers.
- Prepare reports regarding inventories of raw materials or finished products.
- Prepare schedules for equipment use or routine maintenance.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IRC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $55,250 with most people making between $31,260 and $85,160
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,970 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,990 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 48 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.