Design, develop, or evaluate energy-related projects or programs to reduce energy costs or improve energy efficiency during the designing, building, or remodeling stages of construction. May specialize in electrical systems; heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems; green buildings; lighting; air quality; or energy procurement.
- Test and Balance Engineer
- Smart Grid Engineer
- Resource Efficiency Manager
- Renewable Energy Engineer
- Refrigeration Engineer
- Project Engineering Director
- Photovoltaic Power Systems Engineer
- Measurement And Verification Engineer
- Industrial Energy Engineer
- Hydrogen Power Plant Engineer
- Consult with construction or renovation clients or other engineers on topics such as Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) or Green Buildings.
- Recommend best fuel for specific sites or circumstances.
- Write or install energy management routines for building automation systems.
- Promote awareness or use of alternative or renewable energy sources.
- Research renewable or alternative energy systems or technologies, such as solar thermal or photovoltaic energy.
- Direct the implementation of energy management projects.
- Train personnel or clients on topics such as energy management.
- Review or negotiate energy purchase agreements.
- Prepare energy-related project reports or related documentation.
- Review architectural, mechanical, or electrical plans or specifications to evaluate energy efficiency.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Systems Analysis - Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $94,710 with most people making between $50,660 and $147,040
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,790 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,890 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 10 openings due to growth and about 60 replacement openings for approximately 70 total annual openings.