Design, develop, test, and evaluate integrated systems for managing industrial production processes, including human work factors, quality control, inventory control, logistics and material flow, cost analysis, and production coordination.
- Schedule deliveries based on production forecasts, material substitutions, storage and handling facilities, and maintenance requirements.
- Implement methods and procedures for disposition of discrepant material and defective or damaged parts, and assess cost and responsibility.
- Formulate sampling procedures and designs and develop forms and instructions for recording, evaluating, and reporting quality and reliability data.
- Direct workers engaged in product measurement, inspection, and testing activities to ensure quality control and reliability.
- Regulate and alter workflow schedules according to established manufacturing sequences and lead times to expedite production operations.
- Analyze statistical data and product specifications to determine standards and establish quality and reliability objectives of finished product.
- Evaluate precision and accuracy of production and testing equipment and engineering drawings to formulate corrective action plan.
- Record or oversee recording of information to ensure currency of engineering drawings and documentation of production problems.
- Complete production reports, purchase orders, and material, tool, and equipment lists.
- Study operations sequence, material flow, functional statements, organization charts, and project information to determine worker functions and responsibilities.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Recognition, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $85,790 with most people making between $55,430 and $123,820
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 9,620 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 9,860 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 24 openings due to growth and about 286 replacement openings for approximately 310 total annual openings.
- Architectural and Engineering Managers
- Logistics Engineers
- Fraud Examiners, Investigators and Analysts
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Environmental Engineers
- Industrial Safety and Health Engineers
- Mining and Geological Engineers, Including Mining Safety Engineers
- Petroleum Engineers
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Industrial Engineering Technicians