Research, design, develop, test, or supervise the manufacturing and installation of electrical equipment, components, or systems for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use.
- Integrate electrical systems with renewable energy systems to improve overall efficiency.
- Develop systems that produce electricity using renewable energy sources, such as wind, solar, or biofuels.
- Collect data relating to commercial or residential development, population, or power system interconnection to determine operating efficiency of electrical systems.
- Investigate or test vendors' or competitors' products.
- Assist in developing capital project programs for new equipment or major repairs.
- Plan layout of electric power generating plants or distribution lines or stations.
- Design electrical systems or components that minimize electric energy requirements, such as lighting systems designed to account for natural lighting.
- Plan or implement research methodology or procedures to apply principles of electrical theory to engineering projects.
- Inspect completed installations and observe operations to ensure conformance to design and equipment specifications and compliance with operational, safety, or environmental standards.
- Oversee project production efforts to assure projects are completed on time and within budget.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $94,000 with most people making between $58,330 and $134,930
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 6,560 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 6,800 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 24 openings due to growth and about 146 replacement openings for approximately 170 total annual openings.
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Computer Network Architects
- Computer Systems Engineers/Architects
- Geospatial Information Scientists and Technologists
- Chemical Engineers
- Computer Hardware Engineers
- Environmental Engineers
- Petroleum Engineers
- Industrial Engineering Technicians
- Remote Sensing Scientists and Technologists