Design and develop solutions to complex applications problems, system administration issues, or network concerns. Perform systems management and integration functions.
- Web Architect
- Technical Architect
- Target Developer
- Systems Requirements Planner
- Systems Engineer
- Systems Developer
- System Architect
- Solution Architect
- Software Systems Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Develop efficient and effective system controllers.
- Develop application-specific software.
- Perform security analyses of developed or packaged software components.
- Train system users in system operation or maintenance.
- Direct the installation of operating systems, network or application software, or computer or network hardware.
- Complete models and simulations, using manual or automated tools, to analyze or predict system performance under different operating conditions.
- Communicate project information through presentations, technical reports, or white papers.
- Research, test, or verify proper functioning of software patches and fixes.
- Evaluate existing systems to determine effectiveness and suggest changes to meet organizational requirements.
- Establish functional or system standards to address operational requirements, quality requirements, and design constraints.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IRC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Independence in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Operations Analysis - Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $87,850 with most people making between $51,730 and $127,160
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 7,480 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 7,730 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 25 openings due to growth and about 95 replacement openings for approximately 120 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation