Develop and execute software test plans in order to identify software problems and their causes.
- User Experience Designer (UX Designer)
- Test Engineer
- Systems Tester
- Systems Engineer
- Software Testing Specialist
- Software Tester
- Software Test Engineer
- Software Test Analyst
- Software Quality Tester
- Software Quality Engineer
- Provide technical support during software installation or configuration.
- Visit beta testing sites to evaluate software performance.
- Collaborate with field staff or customers to evaluate or diagnose problems and recommend possible solutions.
- Coordinate user or third-party testing.
- Evaluate or recommend software for testing or bug tracking.
- Perform initial debugging procedures by reviewing configuration files, logs, or code pieces to determine breakdown source.
- Conduct historical analyses of test results.
- Investigate customer problems referred by technical support.
- Design or develop automated testing tools.
- Develop or specify standards, methods, or procedures to determine product quality or release readiness.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Support in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Programming - Writing computer programs for various purposes.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $87,850 with most people making between $51,730 and $127,160
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 7,480 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 7,730 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 25 openings due to growth and about 95 replacement openings for approximately 120 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation