Design or configure voice, video, and data communications systems. Supervise installation and post-installation service and maintenance.
- Wireless Technician
- VoIP Engineer (Voice Over Internet Protocol Engineer)
- Voice Engineer
- Telecommunications Specialist
- Telecommunications Operator
- Telecommunications Manager
- Telecommunications Management Specialist
- Telecommunications Engineer
- Telecommunications Consultant
- Telecommunications Analyst
- Manage user access to systems and equipment through account management and password administration.
- Implement controls to provide security for operating systems, software, and data.
- Use computer-aided design (CAD) software to prepare or evaluate network diagrams, floor plans, or site configurations for existing facilities, renovations, or new systems.
- Prepare system activity and performance reports.
- Instruct in use of voice, video, and data communications systems.
- Document technical specifications and operating standards for telecommunications equipment.
- Prepare purchase requisitions for computer hardware and software, networking and telecommunications equipment, test equipment, cabling, or tools.
- Document user support activity, such as system problems, corrective actions, resolution status, and completed equipment installations.
- Review and evaluate requests from engineers, managers, and technicians for system modifications.
- Supervise maintenance of telecommunications equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $106,030 with most people making between $59,910 and $155,800
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,690 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 3,910 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 22 openings due to growth and about 48 replacement openings for approximately 70 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation