Research, design, develop, and test operating systems-level software, compilers, and network distribution software for medical, industrial, military, communications, aerospace, business, scientific, and general computing applications. Set operational specifications and formulate and analyze software requirements. May design embedded systems software. Apply principles and techniques of computer science, engineering, and mathematical analysis.
- Wide Area Network Engineer (WAN Engineer)
- Usability Engineer
- Test Engineer
- Technical Support Engineer
- Systems Support Engineer
- Systems Software Specialist
- Systems Software Quality Assurance Specialist
- Systems Software Engineer
- Systems Software Designer
- Systems Integration Engineer
- Recommend purchase of equipment to control dust, temperature, or humidity in area of system installation.
- Use microcontrollers to develop control signals, implement control algorithms, or measure process variables, such as temperatures, pressures, or positions.
- Evaluate factors such as reporting formats required, cost constraints, or need for security restrictions to determine hardware configuration.
- Specify power supply requirements and configuration.
- Train users to use new or modified equipment.
- Advise customer about or perform maintenance of software system.
- Supervise and assign work to programmers, designers, technologists, technicians, or other engineering or scientific personnel.
- Monitor functioning of equipment to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications.
- Coordinate installation of software system.
- Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $97,890 with most people making between $62,800 and $144,130
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 15,810 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 18,660 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 285 openings due to growth and about 225 replacement openings for approximately 510 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation