Conduct security assessments for organizations, and design security systems and processes. May specialize in areas such as physical security, personnel security, and information security. May work in fields such as health care, banking, gaming, security engineering, or manufacturing.
- Workplace Violence Prevention Specialist
- SOC Analyst
- Security Systems Specialist
- Security System Engineer
- Security Specialist
- Security Operations Analyst
- Security Management Specialist
- Security Engineer
- Security Control Assessor
- Security Consultant
- Monitor tapes or digital recordings to identify the source of losses.
- Interview witnesses or suspects to identify persons responsible for security breaches, establish losses, pursue prosecutions, or obtain restitution.
- Prepare documentation for case reports or court proceedings.
- Inspect fire, intruder detection, or other security systems.
- Budget and schedule security design work.
- Test security measures for final acceptance and implement or provide procedures for ongoing monitoring and evaluation of the measures.
- Inspect security design features, installations, or programs to ensure compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Review design drawings or technical documents for completeness, correctness, or appropriateness.
- Train personnel in security procedures or use of security equipment.
- Monitor the work of contractors in the design, construction, and startup phases of security systems.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Recognition in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $75,390 with most people making between $43,780 and $109,610
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 17,600 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 18,010 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 41 openings due to growth and about 209 replacement openings for approximately 250 total annual openings.