Research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas, or gather information to determine potential sales of a product or service, or create a marketing campaign. May gather information on competitors, prices, sales, and methods of marketing and distribution.
- Direct trained survey interviewers.
- Develop and implement procedures for identifying advertising needs.
- Conduct research on consumer opinions and marketing strategies, collaborating with marketing professionals, statisticians, pollsters, and other professionals.
- Attend staff conferences to provide management with information and proposals concerning the promotion, distribution, design, and pricing of company products or services.
- Forecast and track marketing and sales trends, analyzing collected data.
- Measure the effectiveness of marketing, advertising, and communications programs and strategies.
- Measure and assess customer and employee satisfaction.
- Monitor industry statistics and follow trends in trade literature.
- Devise and evaluate methods and procedures for collecting data, such as surveys, opinion polls, or questionnaires, or arrange to obtain existing data.
- Collect and analyze data on customer demographics, preferences, needs, and buying habits to identify potential markets and factors affecting product demand.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IEC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Support in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $67,900 with most people making between $34,630 and $111,780
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 24,180 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 28,340 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 416 openings due to growth and about 284 replacement openings for approximately 700 total annual openings.