Design and conduct training and development programs to improve individual and organizational performance. May analyze training needs.
- Refer trainees to employer relations representatives, to locations offering job placement assistance, or to appropriate social services agencies if warranted.
- Develop or implement training programs related to efficiency, recycling, or other issues with environmental impacts.
- Coordinate recruitment and placement of training program participants.
- Devise programs to develop executive potential among employees in lower-level positions.
- Supervise, evaluate, or refer instructors to skill development classes.
- Schedule classes based on availability of classrooms, equipment, or instructors.
- Select and assign instructors to conduct training.
- Monitor training costs and prepare budget reports to justify expenditures.
- Attend meetings or seminars to obtain information for use in training programs or to inform management of training program status.
- Negotiate contracts with clients including desired training outcomes, fees, or expenses.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $63,590 with most people making between $34,340 and $99,150
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 10,690 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 11,470 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 78 openings due to growth and about 262 replacement openings for approximately 340 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Training and Development Managers
- Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary
- Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
- Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
- Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
- Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
- Special Education Teachers, Middle School
- Special Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Adult Basic and Secondary Education and Literacy Teachers and Instructors
- Instructional Coordinators