Organize activities to raise funds or otherwise solicit and gather monetary donations or other gifts for an organization. May design and produce promotional materials. May also raise awareness of the organization's work, goals, and financial needs.
- Vice President, Marketing & Development
- Vice President of Major Gifts and Planned Giving
- Vice President for Philanthropy
- Telemarketing Fundraiser
- Special Events Fundraiser
- Principal Gifts Officer
- Planned Giving Officer
- Nonprofit Fundraiser
- Major Gifts Officer
- Major Donor Coordinator
- Coordinate transportation or delivery of materials, supplies, or donations for fundraising events.
- Develop and maintain media contact lists.
- Prepare materials for charitable events, such as fundraising envelopes, bid sheets, or gift bags.
- Secure speakers for charitable events, community meetings, or conferences to increase awareness of charitable, nonprofit, or political causes.
- Develop corporate fundraising programs, such as employer gift-matching.
- Direct or coordinate web-based fundraising activities, such as online auctions or donation Web sites.
- Attend community events, meetings, or conferences to promote organizational goals or solicit donations or sponsorships.
- Plan and direct special events for fundraising, such as silent auctions, dances, golf events, or walks.
- Explain the tax advantages of contributions to potential donors.
- Write speeches, press releases, or other promotional materials to increase awareness of the causes, missions, or goals of organizations seeking funds.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $56,660 with most people making between $32,250 and $84,430
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,380 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,620 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 24 openings due to growth and about 36 replacement openings for approximately 60 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation