Coordinate activities of staff, convention personnel, or clients to make arrangements for group meetings, events, or conventions.
- Obtain permits from fire and health departments to erect displays and exhibits and serve food at events.
- Design and implement efforts to publicize events and promote sponsorships.
- Promote conference, convention and trades show services by performing tasks such as meeting with professional and trade associations, and producing brochures and other publications.
- Develop event topics and choose featured speakers.
- Organize registration of event participants.
- Read trade publications, attend seminars, and consult with other meeting professionals to keep abreast of meeting management standards and trends.
- Meet with sponsors and organizing committees to plan scope and format of events, to establish and monitor budgets, or to review administrative procedures and event progress.
- Direct administrative details, such as financial operations, dissemination of promotional materials, and responses to inquiries.
- Conduct post-event evaluations to determine how future events could be improved.
- Hire, train, and supervise volunteers and support staff required for events.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $50,560 with most people making between $26,410 and $78,130
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,300 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 3,650 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 35 openings due to growth and about 35 replacement openings for approximately 70 total annual openings.
- General and Operations Managers
- Industrial Production Managers
- Storage and Distribution Managers
- Lodging Managers
- Social and Community Service Managers
- First-Line Supervisors of Personal Service Workers
- Morticians, Undertakers, and Funeral Directors
- Travel Guides
- Advertising Sales Agents
- Real Estate Sales Agents