Examine, evaluate, and investigate eligibility for, conformity with, or liability under licenses or permits.
- Prepare correspondence to inform concerned parties of licensing decisions or appeals processes.
- Score tests and observe equipment operation and control to rate ability of applicants.
- Visit establishments to verify that valid licenses or permits are displayed and that licensing standards are being upheld.
- Administer oral, written, road, or flight tests to license applicants.
- Collect fees for licenses.
- Issue licenses to individuals meeting standards.
- Confer with or interview officials, technical or professional specialists, or applicants to obtain information or to clarify facts relevant to licensing decisions.
- Report law or regulation violations to appropriate boards or agencies.
- Prepare reports of activities, evaluations, recommendations, or decisions.
- Advise licensees or other individuals or groups concerning licensing, permit, or passport regulations.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: C.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $67,390 with most people making between $38,270 and $101,530
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 10,990 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 11,420 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 43 openings due to growth and about 157 replacement openings for approximately 200 total annual openings.
- Insurance Adjusters, Examiners, and Investigators
- Tax Examiners and Collectors, and Revenue Agents
- Social and Human Service Assistants
- First-Line Supervisors of Personal Service Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers
- Real Estate Sales Agents
- Brokerage Clerks
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand
- First-Line Supervisors of Transportation and Material-Moving Machine and Vehicle Operators