Plan and direct policies, procedures, or systems to prevent the loss of assets. Determine risk exposure or potential liability, and develop risk control measures.
- Store Loss Prevention Manager
- Senior Manager, Asset Protection
- Regional Loss Prevention Manager
- Market Asset Protection Manager
- Manager of Loss Prevention Operations
- Loss Prevention/Safety District Manager
- Loss Prevention Supervisor
- Loss Prevention Specialist
- Loss Prevention Operations Manager
- Loss Prevention Officer
- Perform cash audits and deposit investigations to fully account for store cash.
- Maintain databases such as bad check logs, reports on multiple offenders, and alarm activation lists.
- Direct installation of covert surveillance equipment, such as security cameras.
- Advise retail establishments on development of loss-investigation procedures.
- Coordinate theft and fraud investigations involving career criminals or organized group activities.
- Advise retail managers on compliance with applicable codes, laws, regulations, or standards.
- Collaborate with law enforcement to investigate and solve external theft or fraud cases.
- Monitor and review paperwork procedures and systems to prevent error-related shortages.
- Maintain documentation of all loss prevention activity.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with federal, state, or local law enforcement agencies or members of the retail loss prevention community.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $123,430 with most people making between $68,220 and $182,980
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 21,910 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 22,210 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 30 openings due to growth and about 480 replacement openings for approximately 510 total annual openings.