Direct or coordinate production, purchasing, warehousing, distribution, or financial forecasting services or activities to limit costs and improve accuracy, customer service, or safety. Examine existing procedures or opportunities for streamlining activities to meet product distribution needs. Direct the movement, storage, or processing of inventory.
- Investigate or review the carbon footprints and environmental performance records of current or potential storage and distribution service providers.
- Conduct or oversee the conduct of life cycle analyses to determine the environmental impacts of products, processes, or systems.
- Appraise vendor manufacturing capabilities through on-site observations or other measurements.
- Locate or select biodegradable, non-toxic, or other environmentally friendly raw materials for manufacturing processes.
- Forecast material costs or develop standard cost lists.
- Design or implement supply chains that support environmental policies.
- Review or update supply chain practices in accordance with new or changing environmental policies, standards, regulations, or laws.
- Identify opportunities to reuse or recycle materials to minimize consumption of new materials, minimize waste, or to convert wastes to by-products.
- Evaluate and select information or other technology solutions to improve tracking and reporting of materials or products distribution, storage, or inventory.
- Diagram supply chain models to help facilitate discussions with customers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Working Conditions and Support in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $119,690 with most people making between $66,280 and $177,660
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 21,910 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 22,210 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 30 openings due to growth and about 480 replacement openings for approximately 510 total annual openings.
- Purchasing Managers
- Transportation Managers
- Postmasters and Mail Superintendents
- Property, Real Estate, and Community Association Managers
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- Regulatory Affairs Specialists
- Cost Estimators
- Compensation, Benefits, and Job Analysis Specialists
- Customs Brokers
- Insurance Sales Agents