Plan, direct, or coordinate activities of an organization or department that serves food and beverages.
- Create specialty dishes and develop recipes to be used in dining facilities.
- Establish and enforce nutritional standards for dining establishments, based on accepted industry standards.
- Plan menus and food utilization, based on anticipated number of guests, nutritional value, palatability, popularity, and costs.
- Take dining reservations.
- Schedule use of facilities or catering services for events such as banquets or receptions, and negotiate details of arrangements with clients.
- Estimate food, liquor, wine, and other beverage consumption to anticipate amounts to be purchased or requisitioned.
- Monitor budgets and payroll records, and review financial transactions to ensure that expenditures are authorized and budgeted.
- Monitor employee and patron activities to ensure liquor regulations are obeyed.
- Record the number, type, and cost of items sold to determine which items may be unpopular or less profitable.
- Order and purchase equipment and supplies.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Relationships and Support in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $61,620 with most people making between $36,400 and $92,440
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 8,370 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 8,780 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 41 openings due to growth and about 169 replacement openings for approximately 210 total annual openings.
- Industrial Production Managers
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Gaming Managers
- Lodging Managers
- First-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
- Morticians, Undertakers, and Funeral Directors
- First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers