Plan, direct, or coordinate research, instructional, student administration and services, and other educational activities at postsecondary institutions, including universities, colleges, and junior and community colleges.
- Oversee facilities management for the university, including construction, repair, and maintenance projects.
- Audit the financial status of student organizations and facility accounts.
- Direct scholarship, fellowship, and loan programs, performing activities such as selecting recipients and distributing aid.
- Confer with other academic staff to explain and formulate admission requirements and course credit policies.
- Plan and promote sporting events and social, cultural, and recreational activities.
- Direct and participate in institutional fundraising activities, and encourage alumni participation in such activities.
- Review student misconduct reports requiring disciplinary action, and counsel students regarding such reports.
- Review registration statistics, and consult with faculty officials to develop registration policies.
- Write grants to procure external funding, and supervise grant-funded projects.
- Provide assistance to faculty and staff in duties such as teaching classes, conducting orientation programs, issuing transcripts, and scheduling events.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Relationships in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $105,810 with most people making between $51,640 and $178,060
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 5,460 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 5,860 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 40 openings due to growth and about 160 replacement openings for approximately 200 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Chief Executives
- Marketing Managers
- Public Relations and Fundraising Managers
- Financial Managers, Branch or Department
- Training and Development Managers
- Medical and Health Services Managers
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
- Arbitrators, Mediators, and Conciliators
- Judges, Magistrate Judges, and Magistrates