Plan, direct, or coordinate the academic, administrative, or auxiliary activities of public or private elementary or secondary level schools.
- Write articles, manuals, and other publications, and assist in the distribution of promotional literature about facilities and programs.
- Teach classes or courses to students.
- Mentor and support administrative staff members, such as superintendents and principals.
- Coordinate and direct extracurricular activities and programs, such as after-school events and athletic contests.
- Collect and analyze survey data, regulatory information, and data on demographic and employment trends to forecast enrollment patterns and curriculum change needs.
- Review and interpret government codes, and develop programs to ensure adherence to codes and facility safety, security, and maintenance.
- Plan, coordinate, and oversee school logistics programs, such as bus and food services.
- Meet with federal, state, and local agencies to keep updated on policies and to discuss improvements for education programs.
- Develop partnerships with businesses, communities, and other organizations to help meet identified educational needs and to provide school-to-work programs.
- Plan and develop instructional methods and content for educational, vocational, or student activity programs.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ESC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Social and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $99,010 with most people making between $66,000 and $136,980
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 7,490 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 7,540 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 5 openings due to growth and about 215 replacement openings for approximately 220 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Public Relations and Fundraising Managers
- Human Resources Managers
- Training and Development Managers
- Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare Center/Program
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Emergency Management Directors
- Equal Opportunity Representatives and Officers
- Training and Development Specialists
- Arbitrators, Mediators, and Conciliators
- Judges, Magistrate Judges, and Magistrates