Plan, direct, or coordinate the training and development activities and staff of an organization.
- Coordinate established courses with technical and professional courses provided by community schools and designate training procedures.
- Review and evaluate training and apprenticeship programs for compliance with government standards.
- Conduct or arrange for ongoing technical training and personal development classes for staff members.
- Conduct orientation sessions and arrange on-the-job training for new hires.
- Train instructors and supervisors in techniques and skills for training and dealing with employees.
- Develop testing and evaluation procedures.
- Develop and organize training manuals, multimedia visual aids, and other educational materials.
- Confer with management and conduct surveys to identify training needs based on projected production processes, changes, and other factors.
- Prepare training budget for department or organization.
- Plan, develop, and provide training and staff development programs, using knowledge of the effectiveness of methods such as classroom training, demonstrations, on-the-job training, meetings, conferences, and workshops.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ES.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $120,470 with most people making between $68,990 and $188,430
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 920 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 980 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 6 openings due to growth and about 24 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Advertising and Promotions Managers
- Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare Center/Program
- Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
- Equal Opportunity Representatives and Officers
- Training and Development Specialists
- Arbitrators, Mediators, and Conciliators
- Instructional Coordinators
- Public Relations Specialists