Manage operations at hydroelectric power generation facilities. Maintain and monitor hydroelectric plant equipment for efficient and safe plant operations.
- Power Project Manager
- Power Plant Supervisor
- Power Plant Superintendent
- Plant Manager
- Operations Supervisor
- Operations Manager
- Maintenance Supervisor
- Maintenance Superintendent
- Hydroelectric Station Chief
- Hydroelectric Production Manager
- Negotiate power generation contracts with other public or private utilities.
- Create or enforce hydrostation voltage schedules.
- Operate energized high- or low-voltage hydroelectric power transmission system substations, according to procedures and safety requirements.
- Develop or implement policy evaluation procedures for hydroelectric generation activities.
- Develop or review budgets, annual plans, power contracts, power rates, standing operating procedures, power reviews, or engineering studies.
- Respond to problems related to ratepayers, water users, power users, government agencies, educational institutions, or other private or public power resource interests.
- Plan or manage hydroelectric plant upgrades.
- Supervise hydropower plant equipment installations, upgrades, or maintenance.
- Provide technical direction in the erection or commissioning of hydroelectric equipment or supporting electrical or mechanical systems.
- Develop or implement projects to improve efficiency, economy, or effectiveness of hydroelectric plant operations.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $107,000 with most people making between $65,390 and $160,380
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 6,920 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 6,970 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 5 openings due to growth and about 195 replacement openings for approximately 200 total annual openings.