Plan, direct, or coordinate activities designed to create or maintain a favorable public image or raise issue awareness for their organization or client; or if engaged in fundraising, plan, direct, or coordinate activities to solicit and maintain funds for special projects or nonprofit organizations.
- University Relations Director
- Underwriter Solicitation Director
- Relationship Manager
- Publicity Manager
- Publicity Director
- Public Relations Supervisor
- Public Relations Representative
- Public Relations Manager (PR Manager)
- Public Relations Director
- Public Information Relations Manager
- Manage in-house communication courses.
- Maintain company archives.
- Observe and report on social, economic, and political trends that might affect employers.
- Confer with labor relations managers to develop internal communications that keep employees informed of company activities.
- Produce films and other video products, regulate their distribution, and operate film library.
- Formulate policies and procedures related to public information programs, working with public relations executives.
- Develop, implement, and maintain crisis communication plans.
- Direct activities of external agencies, establishments, and departments that develop and implement communication strategies and information programs.
- Respond to requests for information about employers' activities or status.
- Draft speeches for company executives and arrange interviews and other forms of contact for them.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $119,900 with most people making between $61,330 and $188,120
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,830 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,960 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 13 openings due to growth and about 67 replacement openings for approximately 80 total annual openings.
- Advertising and Promotions Managers
- Training and Development Managers
- Education Administrators, Postsecondary
- Medical and Health Services Managers
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
- Public Relations Specialists
- Advertising Sales Agents
- Sales Agents, Financial Services