Plan, direct, or coordinate marketing policies and programs, such as determining the demand for products and services offered by a firm and its competitors, and identify potential customers. Develop pricing strategies with the goal of maximizing the firm's profits or share of the market while ensuring the firm's customers are satisfied. Oversee product development or monitor trends that indicate the need for new products and services.
- Integrate environmental information into product or company marketing strategies, policies, or activities.
- Develop business cases for environmental marketing strategies.
- Select products or accessories to be displayed at trade or special production shows.
- Advise business or other groups on local, national, or international factors affecting the buying or selling of products or services.
- Recommend modifications to products, packaging, production processes, or other characteristics to improve the environmental soundness or sustainability of products.
- Conduct economic or commercial surveys to identify potential markets for products or services.
- Consult with buying personnel to gain advice regarding environmentally sound or sustainable products.
- Consult with buying personnel to gain advice regarding the types of products or services expected to be in demand.
- Confer with legal staff to resolve problems, such as copyright infringement or royalty sharing with outside producers or distributors.
- Initiate market research studies or analyze their findings.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Achievement and Relationships in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $154,030
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 5,610 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 6,080 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 47 openings due to growth and about 133 replacement openings for approximately 180 total annual openings.
- Advertising and Promotions Managers
- Public Relations and Fundraising Managers
- Financial Managers, Branch or Department
- Transportation Managers
- Education Administrators, Postsecondary
- Medical and Health Services Managers
- Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
- Program Directors
- Advertising Sales Agents
- Sales Agents, Financial Services